Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Hands-Free Devices

The time has come. If you live in California, you had better own a hands-free device if you want to use your cell phone in the car. The law just took effect on the 1st of July. I find it somewhat ironic that we lose a freedom 3 days before Independence Day. Apparently the politicians failed to see the irony.

I find Bluetooth Headsets to be the easiest to deal with. On Amazon.com they range from roughly $30 for a Motorola H350to $200+ for the Plantronics Voyager 510S.

Whatever you decide to go with, you will want to study up on microphone and earphone quality, road noise and feedback reduction, and overall look and feel. Just because you have to have one by law doesn't mean you can't enjoy it. I use a Motorola now, but am looking to upgrade.

I am looking for a Bluetooth headset with a boom mic. I want the mic to go all the way to my mouth. I don't need a stylish, sleek, tiny device. I care about sound quality more than appearance. If you find one, let me know. I will do the same.

Happy driving, even if you are losing another of your rights.

No comments: